Thursday, July 19, 2007

I walk my dog each morning at about 7:15. We go two miles. It's not too warm then though I come back in the house sweating. It takes about 37 minutes to make the trip. I live in a beautiful community. They say that Georgia is in a drought, but homeowners have never had more beautiful yards than this season. Each yard is a flower garden. Each lawn is deep green and freshly mowed and edged. The homes themselves are works of art. Stonework and wrought iron, pavers and brass lanterns, oval windows and paladium windows, tudor, federalist, and Georgian. During a walk you get to think. Walking isn't so hard that you have to think about what you are doing, so you think about everything else. I think everyone should set aside some time to think everyday. It is cleansing. A bit like prayer I think. On a good walk you have time to argue with God, in the best tradition of Abraham (remember the conversation about Lot?).

I send my 34th and 35th students off to be music majors in a few days. Ellen was here last night for a lesson and we really enjoyed ourselves. She made a breakthrough in tone quality. Essentially she has learned the vocal technique that will carry her through a career in music. It was astonishing to hear her in the studio, her voice echoing throughout the house. She sounded professional. LSU has no idea what a wonderful singer she is going to be for them. It's clear she is the best I have ever taught. I have waited a long time to teach such a student.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home