Saturday, October 29, 2005

So many disparate things swirling around my head. All-State cutoff scores once again mystify me. In the southern and northern ends of the state judges seem to give out perfect scores like halloween candy and once again the cutoffs were low. Twenty-seven of my students made it, but some very worthy efforts did not qualify, sadly.

My daughter has gotten what appears to be a job that is commensurate with her education and abilities, that also has a good salary and nice benefits. We have felt that it was only a matter of time until something broke strongly in her direction and I know she must feel proud of herself. This may be the beginning of many new good things for her.

I have students in a weekend workshop at Spivey Hall on Clayton State College Campus, a terrific hall and tradition for high school students. Dr. R is leading them and has given them a bit too much to do, but this is always a brilliant workshop group and we'll see later today just how much they can pull off. As you might expect, the big Brahms number is the challenge.

On the political front, the Bush administration, which was touted to restore honesty and character to government, is struggling and under indictment at the highest levels. Can anyone doubt that the corruption and ineptitude begins at the top? Well yes is the answer to that. 30 percent of Americans think things are peachy. Some, like Harriet Meirs, think the preznit is the most brilliantest man they has ever met.

2000 Americans and perhaps 200,000 Iraqis are dead in Iraq. The suffering caused by this needless war is incomprehensible. When I ask "Why?" I hear the smart reply "Do you want to fight them over there or over here?" Has there been some Iraqi terrorism in the United States and I missed it? And does anyone know where Ossama is? Hiding with the weapons of mass destruction I suppose. Meanwhile we are torturing prisoners of war, floundering in our efforts to help with natural disasters stateside, spending money on pork projects at a record level. And how can we pay for all the spending? The congress proposes more tax CUTS for the wealthy and massive cuts in medicare, home heating subsidies for the poor, and perscription benefits for the elderly. Oil companies have doubled their record profits from last year, hmmm. It looks like if we were struggling that they should struggle too. Drug companies have record profits too. Delta retirees are facing a 75 per cent reduction in their pension as the airline waves off responsibility to their former employees and turns it over to the government to pay them out of tax money. Is the congress tightening regulations to cause corporations to honor their pledges to pensions. No. Rather, I hear that pensions are simply on the way out. Retired pilots' homes will be for sale next spring. We'll have older pilots living in trailers and bungelows. Not what they were expecting at this time in their lives.

They told me on the news last night that I would need $160,000 to pay the premiums and co-pays for my medical needs as a retired person. I'm six years away from retirement and I'm afraid. My stocks haven't made a single dollar since the Repulicans seized power in a fraudelent election. It seems the Uber rich are doing better. I think many people my age will simply work until we drop in harness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home