Thursday, August 27, 2009

The loss of Ted Kennedy in the U.S. Senate has made me sad. Living in Georgia, I never have any chance of having an elected representative who actually represents my views. But Senator Kennedy has represented me. I have even written him to explain that since Georgia will not elect anything other than rightwing nuts, that I have adopted him as my senator. The Kennedys have always influenced my life. Somehow, at only 9 or 10 I was mesmerized by JFK. I remember staying up late watching the tv returns hoping that he would be elected president. It was not decided until the next day. Senator Edward Kennedy has had a life like David, in the Bible. He has acted in the worst possible ways and brought about the death of a young woman. Whatever happened, his conduct was reprehensible, indefensible. Yet he continued and became more and more an advocate for those with no voice. Truthfully, he has been God's advocate. He fought for civil rights, rights for the handicapped, and most of all, for healthcare to be a right and not a privilege. With enormous wealth and power he should by rights have been a Republican, but at the expense of his family, he has been dedicated to the poor and needy.

He was a lion. The Lion of the Senate. I will miss him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home