Saturday, December 24, 2005

I remember as a child being overwhelmed by the Christmas tree. Didn't you sit in the dark except for the tree lights and stare at the tree? Oddly, that hasn't changed. It is still amazing and beautiful. The reflections in the windows make a double, triple, quadruple set of lights. Somehow I've managed to wrap all the presents before the last moment and they are piled in stacks around the tree. The paper and bows of many colors give glory to the tree.

It is consistently cold in the south this season. We usually get some pretty warm days in any season, but its cold this year. Heating bills will be through the roof. I think about all the people in New Orleans and Mississippi who are trying to live in partially reconstructed homes. And all those folk working to put things back together. They must be having a cold Christmas in many ways. Up here in the hills we miss the beauty of the sea shore, but we miss the terror of the wind and rain as well.

I have gotten used to my new home now and feel like I actually live here. But my visitors are shocked by it I'd say. What a house for a party. And it does dress up nicely for Christmas. We had a little party last night for some friends.

Sometimes I miss being in charge of the Christmas Eve service. I did a good job with that. It is Christmas Eve. Papa comes today, and children will be here. Sister and family will come in the next day. Thankfully there will be singing. Mama will not be here, but we will sense that she is in the next room somewhere, just around the corner, perhaps in the kitchen cleaning up after us, listening to our songs. Would that we could give her a hug and tell her what has been going on.

It's Christmas Eve. Even when things have not turned out like you planned, on this day, things are okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home