Wednesday, October 18, 2006

My blog attacker the other day considered me to be a "liberal."

It's an interesting comment. I'm pretty conservative actually.

I'm an ordained Southern Baptist Minister.

I've been married to the same woman for thirty-three years. We just celebrated the thirty-sixth anniversary of our first date.

I save money and I think I'll have enough to retire at age 60. That's pretty conservative.

I drive a Saturn, because it's nice and because I wanted an American car. I've bought five Saturns now.

I only speak English. I wish I spoke something else. I still hope to learn, but alas.

I've only worked in two fields during my entire life. 2 years in construction, the rest as a conductor.

I have a deep abiding concern for people in need. No student with a problem can be neglected. I can give comfort and I do. I pitch in and help. I think that's what America is about. People helping each other get through life.

I have never minded paying my taxes. I am satisfied with the fruits of my labor after taxes. I don't need gold-plated handles on my water closets, Italian marble on my porch, etc., etc.

I like education. I think it shines a light in darkness.

I don't welcome change. It scares me. I adapt the best I can to it as it comes.

I have the idea in my head that because many have loved me and much has been given to me, that I owe much to my family and community and yes, even to strangers who wander into my life. At times, I am altruistic.

Somehow this makes me a liberal. I liked the NPR report on the Baptists a few years back. They were are war, conservatives against the more conservatives. Robert Krulwich did the report with his funny way of saying things. He said this about the Southern Baptist Convention "If you ask the conservatives in the room to stand up, everyone will stand up."

I'm standing up.

1 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger Rae said...

LIBERAL: Per M-W.com
1 a : of, relating to, or based on the liberal arts (liberal education) b archaic : of or befitting a man of free birth
2 a : marked by generosity : OPENHANDED (a liberal giver) b : given or provided in a generous and openhanded way (a liberal meal) c : AMPLE, FULL
3 obsolete : lacking moral restraint : LICENTIOUS
4 : not literal or strict : LOOSE (a liberal translation)
5 : BROAD-MINDED; especially : not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or traditional forms
6 a : of, favoring, or based upon the principles of liberalism b capitalized : of or constituting a political party advocating or associated with the principles of political liberalism; especially : of or constituting a political party in the United Kingdom associated with ideals of individual especially economic freedom, greater individual participation in government, and constitutional, political, and administrative reforms designed to secure these objectives

Yes, I think you are liberal because out of the six definitions you are 4 out of six which is a majority. You are associated with liberatl arts education, thus the Dr in Dr. G. You are marked by generosity. You are sometimes not literal or strict. You are broadminded and not bound by authoritarianism. #3--not so much, #6 apparently is in another country so not so much either. People call me liberal, I say thank you. Liberal is not a bad word just because someone uses it that way. I can't just make up swear words. Although, I do make up words in general like waitressing.

I do think you are all democrat. AND Newsweek this week says that its poll says that more Americans think democrats have more moral values than the republicans for the first time since forever. This seems to fit you perfectly. You have taught me moral values that have saved my life. Needless to say you are my favorite moral democrat. Although Mom runs a close tie.

luvu--9 days left--Rae

 

Post a Comment

<< Home