Saturday, May 24, 2008

We went to the symphony tonight. It is wonderful to be in the room with musicians and instruments. Really good musicians and really good instruments. And tonight there were actors and singers too. The theme was Shakespeare and we were treated to vinettes by a quartet of players and songs by a trio of singers as well as the instrumental music of Berlioz and Mendelssohn. Even more delightful, one of the singers, Anne Bird, was my student years ago. We went backstage afterward where she was already visiting with friends. She glanced at me and wife and continued talking with college friends and then she looked a second time and realized who we were, after wiping away about 8 years or so of cobwebs. Then she tried to squeeze the life out of me. She looked at her friends and said, "You aren't going to believe who this is. This is my first voice teacher!" I had listened as critically as I could and I can tell you this, she has mastered her vocal technique. It was really quite exciting to see the joyful surprise on Anne's face when she saw us. I last saw her at her senior recital and now she has sung with the Metropolitan Opera. We made a phone date for Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home