Saturday, July 02, 2005

Random thoughts.

My daughter was 29 years old at 6:20 p.m. last night. I remember so clearly waiting for her to be born and having the nurse bring me the news. No, fathers didn't get to go in at that time. That came later.

Surely it is hot water showers that makes us feel like kings in our castles as much as anything ever could. I'll bet Henry VIII never had as nice a shower as I get every morning.

Cruising the town in the yellow golf cart, now adorned with four American flags, continues to be fun. Chick-fil-a icecream is a must stop. We pass friends and stop and talk. When we ask where they are going, why just out for a ride, the same as us. And they have lived here forever.

Sissy has made up batches of chili and frozen portions in the freezer so I can nuke me a chili dog whenever I want. Boy they are as good as Varsity dogs. mmmm mmmmm.

War of the worlds got a B in the Atlanta paper. They said it slowed down in the second half and had a sappy ending. No way. The reviewers have been at their jobs too long and are burned out. It was mega scarey fun, tense and exploding right to the very end. Those bacteria are dangerous. Dakota Fanning is a total charmer. I think we may get to watch her for the rest of my life anyway. Her interview on the talk shows have been mesmerizing. What a charming and brilliant child. She is 11 and she outshown cruise and Tim Robbins I thought. At least a nomination for best supporting actress please, academy.

I'm reading a history of early America, the Vineyard of Liberty, James MacGregor Burns. When the European settlers came to America the Indians spoke 2000 separate and distinct languages, no cognate words, no understanding from one tribe to another. That's 40 distinct languages per each state in the country today. How could that be? Three thousand people with their own language and culture, unrelated to any of their neighbors. They had different religions, music, art, magics, traditions, personalities, methods of making a living. It boggles my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home