Monday, February 05, 2007

A moment of discovery. I tell people that I learned to sing in 8 minutes. Spread over 8 years. We'll have to teach her to be musical, and style, and languages, and acting, but the placement work is now done. And placement is the hardest thing of all.

Singing well is remarkably easy and impossibly difficult. When you can do it, you understand how it works. Explaining it is more complicated. Tonight, I helped a student find the placement of her voice. It is a groove. I've been coaching her for 3 years. She will never forget today and as she goes on to a career in music, she'll make precious few changes in technique from this day forward. Mrs. G was floored at the other end of the house and called the boy to listen on the phone. The weirdest thing is that I taught her sister to sing 4 years ago. But I couldn't get the sister to major in music. Medicine is her calling. Has to be a doctor. This one is just as smart, but it is music that drives her. She will be a great one. Hours after she left, I'm still jumping around thinking about it. What a sound. The third sister is in the 7th grade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home