Monday, January 05, 2009

Al Franken's book title Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them comes to my mind as I hear the spin being put out by the Bush administration to the news media by virtually all members of the Bush administration during these "legacy" days of W and his cronies. While he seeks to secure his place in history, most of the rest of us are looking for a way to imprison him.

Some big lies that don't get talked about any more, or have never gotten talked about. I'm not citing a source for my conclusions here, because they are my conclusions, based on my experience.

Sometimes people tell you things and you just can't figure out how they could be possible. I remember the line "She went to Julliard School of Music." But in my experience, the 75 year old church organist was both borderline delusional and a terrible musician. It was hard to reconcile how any one could be this incompetent a player and every have studied at Juilliard. It would be like looking at a 400 pound man and saying, "back in the day, he won the Boston Marathon." Naaaaah. Something is wrong with that. Turns out she actually wanted to go to Juillard, in oboe, but never did. Myth explained.

You hear that George W. Bush is a brilliant man. I've even heard him described as "the most brilliant man I ever met." (How sad). We know he graduated from Yale and also from Harvard Business School. We also hear that he was a pilot in the Texas Air National Guard.

We his National Guard service is still a matter of lawsuits. Maybe that will get sorted out. It is usually pretty easy to confirm someones service. Their buddies can tell you about serving with them. Bush buddies step forward please.

But to graduate from Harvard and Yale, my guess is you would have to write papers and give presentations. After listening to his many public presentations in the past 8 years, it is my firm belief that he was not capable of college level work with the English language and like his National Guard service, he did not do the work. He was either waved on through by people who were paid off or looked the other way, or more likely, he turned in excellent papers that were written by someone else, and he read (poorly), presentations written by someone else. I've graded a lot of students and never had one quite as stupid as George W. Bush.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home