Friday, March 17, 2006

We are asking a lot from students and teachers these days. I see kids going to college with these carefully crafted resumes. (I have to write three references this weekend). They include their community service work since the 5th grade. And they move around in their activities. Don't want to do the same community service year after year. They need two or three different sports. You have to be recognized for leadership, you know. But not enough kids were getting honors so we have created more and more honoring organizations. When I was a kid we had the Atlanta Journal Cup for the best all round graduate. This year there are four cups given at our place, including the Journal Cup. We have to have four best all round kids. Thankfully there is still only one valedictorian. When I graduated, honor grads were the top ten percent of the class. Now we have honor grads as anyone who has reached a certain GPA. Thirty three percent of our kids will be "honor" grads. And those pesky D's were messing up GPA's so we've reduced them to only one point. You have to hit 70 on the nose to get a 1.0 thrown into your transcript.

Teachers have another level of paperwork thrown on them by someone every year. Technical certification. Make sure you've had the diversity training and seen the ethics in teaching video every year. Is your portfolio in order. You must have goals for self improvement and be documenting your progress. Are you keeping record of all your parent contacts. Have you documented all your modifications for students with SST's and IEPs? Does anyone look at this stuff? Well no. But we have a warehouse full of paper if someone wants to investigate. Lesson plans turned into department heads on Mondays, reviewed and passed along to administrators. Then we must have department goals that fit in with the school improvement plan so we can show the accrediting bodies how we are improving ourselves. Unfortunately. . . it's all bunk. Busywork. Cover your a** paperwork to present in case of a law suit. It just keeps me from planning for my students. I'm a better teacher with more planning time.

1 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger Dr. F said...

Gosh, good stuff on your blog, Dr.G! I have been remiss in visiting!

The same is going on in College. Everyone is adding "service learning" which adds a layer of hours and work that is indescribable. While the students are gaining civic engagement, and this shows up as a pretty nice level of caring at my place at least, I wonder how much time they have to study the hard facts of music history. I hear them complaining about having to "know everything" in musicology. (course, we probably complained too...actually, I recall complaining that the teacher could not teach and that I felt I was not learning enough...geek alert. No surprise I ended up a teacher.

The resume thing for HS students sickens me. They come to us stressed, freaked, really. I have more students on prozac, zoloft and the like than I care to mention. I wonder that they are just stretched to hard and feel too much pressure.

Do you think that GA's Hope Scholarship has contributed? We are frustrated with grade inflation too. You are right, it has turned to honor inflation as well.

We are in big talks here about academic excellence and the atmosphere that creates that.
Lots of issues there.

The need for numerical assessment is making me crazy as a musician. How do you quantify having an aesthetic experience? Fill out a questionaire? "The hair stood up on my arms and back of my neck 3 times last week... I cried at 2 concerts this semester.
My life was transformed by a piece of music 10 times in Dr. Whozit's class."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home