Sunday, July 30, 2006

I feel like Yoda. Exhausting it is . . . keeping up with the agressive dismantling of American government by the this Republican administration. If I read all the alarmed journalists and bloggers, heralding illegal intrusions, lack of enforcement of laws, no bid contracts, edited scientific reports, lies that lead to war, and easily fifty other alarms, then I can do nothing but read alarms and write political blogs. Exhausting it is.

In my short life, 54 years, there has been a turning point in U.S. history with the appointment of dubya as preznit. Every aspect of the government is turned on it's head, from national parks to the IRS and estate taxes, to military actions. They grabbed the whole bag of government and turned it upside down and shook it. A small portion of Americans are getting enormous riches from this action. Their families will be rich for a thousand years. They are creating dynasties.

I'm not sure Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson would have liked the creation of such wealth or the lawless oligarchy that we have become.

2 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Blogger Reality-Based Educator said...

The scariest thing for me about the dismantling of American democractic institutions and values is how most people don't even seem to notice or care. I wonder if this is how it felt to be around during the McCarthy era? I wonder also if there will be a blowback from all the Bush abuses or if many of these alterations to the nation are now permanent? I suspect the latter, but I am just a tiny bit hopeful that with just alittle congressional oversight, some of these things can be changed back.

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger Dr. G. said...

I'm more optimistic than you about the average voter. Of course there are those that operate in a vacuum, unaware that there is a political system or that it affects them. And it is hard to get to the single issue voters. But there are a lot of quiet people who will express themselves at the poll. Remember 1994. I was sitting in my car listening to the radio as those returns came in. It was shocking to the commentators and to me. It can happen again. People are pretty dissatisfied.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home