Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A plumbing thought.

I'm told that when running water was first piped into our homes that the first sinks had a cold water faucet on one side and a hot water faucet on the other. You could get hot or cold running water, but not warm. Mix them together in the bowl and you had warm. It was fifty years later before anyone put the two lines together and let you adjust the water to any temperature you wanted. So I have a plumbing idea.

In the summer when I shower, I fix the single handle that regulates temperature at about the "two o'clock" position. On the cold side of gauge. In the winter I fix the same handle to the "ten o'clock" position, over on the hot side of the gauge. Now the temperature of the water is about the same coming out of the spout, and the temperature of the hot water from the tank is regulated at the same temperature, so the difference can only be the temperature of the cold water coming inside from out in the ground. That makes sense.

So why don't I have a cold water tank in the house, next to my hot water heater, upstairs in the furnace room, holding say 75 gallons of luke warm, room temperature water. I can't even think of a time when I need really cold water. Okay to make ice cubes I guess, but what else? This would me to reduce the hot water I need by a lot. Often I warm the water up just a bit, wasting water letting it run until it is warm, just to wash my hands. If the cold water were already room temperature, I doubt if I'd do that so much, and when I need warm or hot water I wouldn't have to mix in so much 140 degree water to get the 110 degree water I want. Wouldn't I save boo coo on my water bill and on my natural gas bill? What could it cost $300 for such an installation. Wouldn't I get thousands back over the years? Hmm. I must investigate. What if everyone had a cold water holding tank inside the house. What would the savings be nationwide. Wouldn't it be like discovering a major new energy source in the country? And a cool thing about money saved is that it is worth way more than money earned. You had to pay 40% or so in taxes to put a dollar in your pocket. The increase in your pocket from savings, is tax free.

Let's all rush out and get cold water holding tanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home