Thursday, April 21, 2005

Take my advice and don't make any plans to go out and watch a bike race. The Tour de Georgia (isn't that a funny name?) made its way past our high school yesterday and all the students came out to line the roads and watch for Lance Armstrong. Only problem is, the bikers come by in a mob. It reminded me of a swarm of bees. They were that close together and moving about 45 miles an hour. Even though there were 100 or more bikers, it took only about 5 seconds for them all to pass a given point. We knew that Lance was number "1" and that he was wearing a blue and silver jersey and I didn't talk to a single student who thought they had seen him in the swarm as they came by. He certainly was not at the front. For this event we had roads closed for miles around. It was strictly a media event. As a spectator sport, nothing.

Oh well.

4 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger carter said...

You can totally say "I saw Lance Armstrong". Hey -- he nearly went by your house!

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Dr. G. said...

Not only did I see him, I got a photo of him. I just can't tell which one is him!
Dr. G

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Rae said...

I have it on good authority (a friend of mine who used to ride with the Jittery Joe's racing team)that I will be able to both see Lance and get a picture of him. Apparently, there is no way for the bikers to either take the Clarkesville curve in a pack or go 45 mph. The only other place it was suggested that I stand was on the climb at Brasstown Bald. It is super steep.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Oh my god, I am so obsessed with Lance Armstrong. Rachel, you should totally go see him and send me pictures! My sister sent pics from the Tour de France last year -- she got him going out the starting gate of one of the time trials. The climb would be a good place -- they definitely won't be in a pack at that point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home