Saturday, April 15, 2006

I had to post the choir lists for 294 students for next year yesterday afternoon. I took some time and dressed it up colorfully. I posted the names of choirs and blank pages where the list would go the day before. Oddly, students stood in the hallway looking at the blank pages longingly. Which list would hold their name? I post the list at the end of sixth period. That way the boys in that class can give it a good look and get out of the way before the hordes that are coming at the bell. But even before the bell there is a trickle of girls. They have some how gotten out of class early to see the list. It is as important as who made the varsity soccer team (and we are often state champions in soccer). The importance of it appeals to me. It makes me think I'm accomplishing something at least in the minds of children. Perhaps we are doing something special. Charlie Bradley kind of special.
Oddly, the seniors come at the bell as well. Their names are not on the list and they come to confirm that. They are moving on. They also want to give a stamp of approval to what next year's groups look like. They nod to me and say "Good job, Dr. G. This looks good." About a minute after the bell there is a crush. Fifty or sixty will be there for 20 minutes, rotating away from the front, pushing forward from the back. The lists are alphabetical BY SECTION in each choir, so it can take awhile to find yourself. I may have changed their section, and they are hopeful I changed their choir to the next higher one. So they must scan list after list and sometimes they miss their name. (Yes I could do it another way, but I'm not going to change. It's all part of the fun).

There are shouts in the front. "What list am I on? Does anyone see my name?" There are gasps. And soon shrieks. Forty-one will discover that they have made an "A" choir for the first time. Fourteen have made "Singers," our hearalded girls. Thirty are returning to Singers. Oddly they come and look for their names as well. Michelle screams when she sees her name. He knees buckle and she drops to the floor. She's the fourth Miller girl in our program and the first one to make Singers. She can't believe it. She comes and hugs me and thanks me, but I tell her only that she earned it. "You did the audition, not me." I have Mitchell twins graduating and their little sisters, also Mitchell twins, both moved up to take their places in Chamber Choir. So there will be Mitchell twins in Chamber for 5 years straight. (If they don't move on to Singers). The younger girls come with no expectations, they look on the lowest list first. They search it and then move to the next list. When they can't find themselves in Chorale, they start shaking. There are only 10 sophomores in A choirs. It's pretty rare to make it that high. My favorite image is a girl bouncing up and down "I made Chorale!" " I made Singers!!!" " I made Chamber!!" The boys do not bounce. A clenced fist in the air, or they simply nod and walk away, perhaps saying "Yes!" quietly. Eighteen minutes later the crowd is thinned to only a few. Students will stop and study the lists all next week. Lots of non-chorus folks, students and teachers will read the names and smile. Their friend made it to the top.

Later in the evening I see one of our alumnas at a concert where she performed. I ask her, "Kaitlyn, can you remember when you came and looked at the list and saw that you made Singers?" She looks at me like I'm crazy and says "Are you kidding, Dr. G. I'll never forget that."

Sometimes there is so much to write about that you can't figure out where to start. Spring is going full blast finally. The weather and the flowers are beautiful. It will be a lovely Easter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home